Monday, November 19, 2007

# 17 TECHNOLOGY

Obviously most folks are much more comfortable with technology that I am. This entire exercise has pushed me to learn about some of the various aspects of blogging. In fact, whenever we were asked to start this program, I did not have the foggiest notion what a blog was. Sometimes, I still feel that I am in the dark, what with the multitude of terminology that we have been exposed to with each activity. It has been very difficult for me to keep them separated in my mind. (Actually, I haven't!) I've seen the benefit for some of the activities, especially in relation to my job, at the beginning. But, the fact, that circulation assts. are to stay behind the counter, and leave the questions to the Reference desk, has made it difficult for me to see the direct benefit. (I am not to answer those types of questions, so why am I spending my learning hours on this subject. That's the true question for me.) But, I'm here and that is not going to change, so I am trying to get as much out of this experience as I can with my limited knowledge. I have become more accustomed to using the computer to do the limited searches connected with my position behind the counter. This involves, looking up patrons' records, checking shelves against what the records indicate, looking up history for payment and fees incurred and other related items. I'm more comfortable printing out records for various activities, such as pull lists,ect. I've come a long way concidering where I started. And I guess some would say, I've a long way to go.

No comments: